Friday, March 2, 2012

Openindiana bits and pieces

Had Solaris Express Community Edition running previously, build 113 I think. But it decided my big zpool was degraded. I eventually worked out this was because disks were overheating. Replaced the fans, and booted back up, but it kept getting itself into a state, and panicking the kernel, causing it to reboot, and not come back cleanly!

So, I tried debian, it installed fine, but it decided that one disk didn't have a partition table it recognised. Even though it was configured exactly the same as the other 5 in the zpool, bit odd.

So next, I gave Openindiana a go, detected the pool straight off. Said I could update, so it's now running at zpool v28. So, no going back to SXCE I think.

It has a few tweaks I want to remember:

Static IP

This is an odd one, apparently you have to:

  • disable the NWAM auto config stuff.
    svcadm disable physical:nwam

  • add your IP to /etc/hosts

  • use ipadm to configure the interface
    ipadm create-addr -T static -a local= e1000g0/v4static

  • Add the gateway
    route -p add default

  • Add DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf

  • cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf


pkg install storage-server
svcadm disable svc:/network/smb/client:default
svcadm disable svc:/network/smb/server:default
svcadm enable svc:/network/samba:default
smbpasswd -a your_username

I had to change the UID of the username to match what ubuntu was expecting, easier than trying to muck about with samba permissions, just make the UNIX permissions match up on both ends, and it should all work!

Download the solaris version,
pkg-add -d ./VirtualBox-4.1.8-SunOS-r75467.pkg

Seems to install just fine!

Autostart Virtualbox Guest
Get the package from:
pkgadd -d COSvboxsvc-0.15.pkg
Edit the vbox-svc.xml, and add the correct VM name, username ,and group to run as.
svcadm import ./vbox-svc.xml

All in all fairly simple, when you know how. Quite different to what I'm used to with linux, and I'd forgotten all my SXCE stuff!

1 comment:

  1. It's actually "svccfg import" not "svcadm import"...